The Rainbow Caverns Mine Train began operating in Disneylands
new Living Desert in 1956.
The Living Desert also served as the enhanced home of
the Stagecoaches, the Conestoga Wagons, and the Pack Mules
which all had premiered in Disneylands inaugural year, 1955.
In 1960, the Mine Train attraction was upgraded to become the
Mine Train through Natures Wonderland.
The Conestoga Wagons and the Stagecoaches disappeared during this
expansion, but the Pack Mules were allowed to stay.
The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (renamed the Disneyland Railroad
in 1974) served as the northern border of the Living Desert.
Railroad passengers enjoyed excellent views of the desert until the track
was rerouted in preparation for the 1966 opening of “its a small world.”
© 2008 Werner Weiss — Disclaimers, Copyright, and Trademarks
Updated April 25, 2008.
Photograph of the Living Desert: 1958 by Merrill A. Garner.
Photograph of cacti: 1958 by Merrill A. Garner.
Photograph of cactus (close-up): 1958 by Merrill A. Garner.